For seasoned bloggers blog hops/link ups are most likely second nature but for others who may be new to blogging blog hops may be uncharted territory leaving them with many questions. If you are unfamiliar with blog hops, they are basically a great way to meet other bloggers and gain followers.
Here are the basic Q&A's on blog hops:
1) What is a blog hop? A blog hop also called a link up is basically a widget, called a linky, that allows bloggers to add their blog to a list. The list can be on multiple sites or may just be on the site of the blogger hosting the hop.
2) What is the purpose of a blog hop? Blog hops allow you to visit other blogs, follow blogs you like, and gain followers.
3) How do I participate? It's easy, just follow the rules the host has left. Sometimes the host asks that you place the blog hop button on your site or in a post, others have no rules. You then add your blog to the list and then visit other blog from the list. When you find blogs you enjoy follow them and leave a comment.
4) Why should I leave a comment? Leaving a comment allows the blogger to know that you are now following them. However, there are a few rules of etiquette:
5) How long is a blog hop? Blog hops typically last one day although some may last an entire weekend and specialty blog hops may last a week or more.
6) How many blogs should I visit? As many as you would like. Visiting blogs through blog hops takes time so you may not get to everyone on the list, the great things is most blog hops are weekly events so you can stop back b next week.
7) How do I find blog hops? We have a list of member blog hops here on the community. You can check out our member blog hop list here. Also many bloggers have buttons for blog hops in their sidebars if you see one that catches your eye click on it and usually you will be brought to the site that hosts the hop and you can find out more.
If you plan on attending blog hops to gain followers make sure you have a way for new followers to follow you. You can add the GFC widget to the sidebar of your blog ot if you use Blogger add the followers widget.
Now your all set! If you are looking for other ways to gain followers check out:
If you participate in blog hops and have any advice we would love to have you leave a comment!