Last week we talked about the importance of designing your blog to fit your style. Whether you go with a custom design or design your blog yourself you will have to be the one to maintain it. There are a few small details that could keep your blog in tip top shape, or at least head you in the right direction!
Blog Design & Style Do's:
- Do defiantly give your blog some style! There are plenty of free design options so there is no need to stay with a basic template that you don't love, check out your design options! Choose a design that is fit for your style and compliments you and the theme of your blog!
- Do get yourself a blog button! You will need it, believe me! Readers may stop by, love your blog and want to add your button to their blog but they can't do that if you don't have a button. You may also need it for advertising purposes, Facebook and Twitter profiles, etc.....
- Do make it easy to contact you! I know some people don't want their email flooded with spam but this doesn't happen often. You could always use a contact form or set up a separate email for blog letters. You never know what opportunities you may be shutting out by not giving readers a way to contact you!
- Do add a GFC widget! People come to your blog and often want to follow you, but if you leave them no way to do that chances are they will not return simply because they forget how they found you. No one wants to bookmark a million blogs so if you simply add a GFC widget or RSS option you now how a way for loyal readers to keep up with you!
- Do keep things clean and organized. Cluttered blogs are very hard to read and navigate through. Your readers may get lost or even wore overwhelmed and leave.
- Do center your sidebar images. This helps everything look clean, and in line. It just gives your blog a nicer overall look.
- Do keep related items together. In your sidebars try to keep like objects together. Your sponsors should be grouped together, your social icons should be together, blogs you follow should be together. When everything is all over the place it gets a bit cluttered and confusing. Keep things clean by keeping things together.
Blog Design & Style Don'ts:
- Don't overdo it! Too much is too much! You want your blog to be inviting, when you overload it with flashy objects, falling images, floating birds, loud music, and pop-up ads all at once readers are sure to click out just as quickly as they got in! Decide on a few of these things but please do not overdo it, it will just end up being a hot mess. Your blog is beautiful, let people see it without a ton of extras!
- Don't mix and match blog freebies that do not match. If you have an eclectic style, that's fine but try your best to at least make your blog design objects cohesive. When you mix and match a bunch of items it gives your blog a look of thrown together. There are plenty of great free designs that are cohesive, remember we have a great list of blog freebies in our blog resource center.
- Don't let your sidebar images/widgets hang off the edge of your sidebar section. There are plenty of ways to fix this problem. You can widen your sidebar or shrink your images. Either way, get items to fit in the parameter of your sidebar section, it makes your blog look a lot nicer when things are proportioned.